Saturday, November 12, 2016

The first big handmade wardrobe success




I haven't blogged for a couple of weeks but I made a garment! I'm insanely pleased that I got my Blaster Cardigan finished. I learnt a lot and best of all it's actually wearable.

The pattern is by Andi Satterlund and perhaps wasn't the best choice for a first cardigan to knit as I did struggle with following the instructions and had to rip parts back a fair few times. The finished article is fab though and I have my eye on quite a few of her other patterns that I'd like to make now I have a better idea what I'm doing. There are a few lessons learnt I'll take forward though. The fit being the main one. When I started knitting it I was between sizes and Andi advised I take into account not just the bust size but the waist size too. This was a good point I hadn't considered so I went for the medium size which it turns out was the wrong choice. It fits fine but there is absolutely no negative ease. I suspect this is because I've lost more weight in the time I was knitting it as the finished cardigan is pretty close to the measurements the pattern said it would be and it didn't change shape when I blocked it. Oh well, next time I'll go for the smaller size when faced with the same dilemma. There are a couple of other things that could do to be tweaked but I don't yet have the skills to know how to do it. The shoulders are a touch wide, and the body is slightly too long and doesn't quite hit my waist where it should. It's easy enough to alter the length but I don't know how to narrow the shoulders, however this might have been solved by knitting the smaller size.


The only other thing I'm not keen on is there seems to be a lot of excess fabric under the sleeves. Again I'm not sure how to alter that and maybe if I'd managed to get the negative ease I was after this would be needed to get a good fit but it makes it a little baggy on my version. On the whole though I'm really happy with it. I did make some changes to the sleeves to make them taper in more and end where I wanted. I also tried Jenny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off which was great so I'll certainly use that again. I was pretty impressed with the Drops Cotton Merino yarn I used given how purse friendly it is. It was easy to knit with and didn't mind all my pulling back. There were more knots in the first couple of balls than I'd like but the second two were fine so I must have just been unlucky. I actually ended up using a ball less than I expected so I have quite a lot left. It blocked well and is a good colour but I don't know how it'll wear yet. I'm hoping because of the cotton content it should be fairly hard wearing. It's certainly comfortable next to the skin and I'd use it again as I think it'll be lovely to wear in the spring and summer.


Post a Comment

You might also like..