Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Progress Update

This week I have decided on a new tactic. I have too many projects on the go so I'm joining the Yarn Hoarder WIP KAL. I am going to focus first on my Blaster Cardigan as the KAL for that ends November 1st and I'm sooo close to finishing. If I can get it done on time that would be great. I've been knitting on it a fair bit over the weekend and I've managed to get onto the second sleeve. I pulled back and re-knit the first one making a few changes to the decreases and length and it fits perfectly so I just need to get the other done. I already had buttons I was going to use for it but I took a trip to a new local fabric store and came home with some more buttons so I'll decide which to use when I'm through knitting. I really can't photograph this well when I'm taking quick snaps with my phone, it just doesn't pick up yellow very true to life. I'll take better photo's when it's all finished though. I'm reserving judgement on the fit until it's blocked. I think it's going to be a little too big around my body although the length is good. I've possibly lost a bit more weight since I started it or maybe I just should have done the smaller size to start with. Oh well, I don't mind too much. I'm still chuffed with how well it's turning out for a first large knitted garment.


After that I want to concentrate on my Building Blocks Shawl. I'm already behind on the clues so I've decided I'm not going to rush to finish it. I'm in the middle of the brioche section and I'm loving it. I had a feeling I would like brioche knitting as I'm all about texture and I really do. I foresee lots more in my future. It's a shame the two colours used in this shawl are fairly similar so don't show off the brioche as well as they could but it's oh so squishy! I've really loved this MKAL I'll definitely be doing another. Stephen West has made it so easy to follow. The pattern is written in lots detail and he's made little tutorial videos to go along with it so even a novice knitter like myself can join in. I've learnt loads already and I'm only halfway through. I'm really not looking forward to weaving in all those ends though!



I've made a bit of progress on my sewing. I've copied out and altered the Dottie Angel frock pattern and cut out my fabric for the muslin. I tried a different method using a tracing wheel and copy paper but I don't think it's for me. It's just too hard to see the markings in our bad house lighting and I don't really have the space to lay it out very well. I think it might be a good way of transferring the other pattern information like pocket placement though so I might try a combination of cutting around a paper pattern and transferring markings. I also tried using a rotary cutter which was great so I'll certainly do that in future instead of scissors. I haven't actually started sewing it yet though. I got out the sewing machine and got it threaded so it's all ready to go once I get some free time.

That's all my crafty news. I'm now going to clean the bathroom and listen to some new to me sewing podcasts I've heard mention of. Oh what a glamorous and exciting life I lead. Ta ta!

Post a Comment

You might also like..