Monday, January 21, 2013

Bread baking day!


I've been baking bread today which I don't do as often as I should. Largely because I'm too impatient to wait for the required rising times. However the snow outside was pretty heavy this morning and I didn't fancy the trek to the shop in it, so thought I'd put the effort in to make some. Now I'm no expert. My attempts are largely hit and miss, no doubt due to the lack of practice, but I've made these rolls a couple of times now and they are delish so I thought I'd share. It's a Nigel Slater recipe (who is a food genius) out of The Guardian newspaper. (Recipe also here) I don't add the pumpkin seeds as I never have any in but it doesn't detract from the yumminess in anyway. Enjoy!


Nigel Slater's Poppy and pumpkin seed buns


Sunflower seeds are an option here, as is caraway. Makes 12-15.


apple juice 400ml
honey 2 tbsp
strong white plain flour 400g
rye flour 200g
easy-bake dried yeast 2 tsp
sea salt 1 tsp
poppy seeds and pumpkin seeds

Warm the apple juice and honey in a saucepan. It should be just hot enough to hold your finger in. Put the flours in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle in the yeast and salt. Pour in the warm apple juice and honey and mix thoroughly to a sticky dough.

Knead the dough by hand for a mere 3 or 4 minutes, pushing, pulling and stretching the dough in whatever way suits you. You can use the food mixer fitted with a dough hook if you prefer. Oil or flour the bowl lightly, then return the dough to it and cover with a tea cloth or clingfilm. Set aside in a warm place, free of draughts, for an hour or until the dough has risen to almost twice its original volume.

Set the oven at 220C/gas mark 8. Tear off 12-15 pieces and form into balls. Place these on a baking sheet or pizza stone, then scatter the surface with poppy and pumpkin seeds and cover with a dry tea cloth. Leave in a warm place for about 15-20 minutes until the rolls have risen slightly.

Bake the rolls for about 20 minutes. They should sound hollow when upturned and tapped. Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack.

Post a Comment

You might also like..